9.30.2008

The Persecution of the Baha'is in Iran, the House speaks saying "Crime of the Century"

This is something that lays heavy on my heart, as it does for so many...

As many of you already know, the Baha'i's in Iran have been persecuted and executed for all its history. We, as Baha'i's (and others, as you will see in these videos) have been advocating for peace and equal treatment of the Baha'i's in Iran. I wanted to show you two video clips of House representatives speaking out against this persecution; it is pretty moving that they have taken action and care about the outcome. If you only have time to watch one of these, PLEASE watch PART 2. wow:
Part 2 is especially articulate and informed:

This is a very personal issue for me, as it is for so many Baha'i's, Iranian or not...my Grandfather, Kamran Samimi was arrested and murdered on December 27, 1981 by the Iranian Government; They told him either he recants (gives up his religion) or they will murder him; I never had the bounty of meeting him, my mother lost her father. He was a member of the National governing body of the Baha'i Faith in Iran (the National Spiritual Assembly). Here is a photo of my grandparents, my grandfather is the tall gentleman in the tie, my grandmother in the white dress:

this is a photograph of my mother and her father in Iran during her graduation from high school:

for more on the latest information:

http://news.bahai.org/human-rights/iran/iran-update.html

8 comments:

flashlightfaces said...

sometimes i love america

I SAID SOMETIMES

flashlightfaces said...

ps i think we have the classiest grandpa ever

limonana said...

this is really amazing, thanks so much for sharing...your grandfather is such an inspiration for all of us...

SAMIMI-EXTREMIE said...

thanks to both of my shirins!! yeah SOMETIMES. i agree, babajoonie is such an inspiration! i am glad you two enjoyed it!

i love you both!

cao said...

wow - i had no idea. it's a painful wince on my face that comes up after watching things like that and I think it's because I'm thinking: A) so many things happen that I'm ignorant to and, B) so many people don't do anything even though they aren't ignorant to them. How does that work?? Oooo, painful wincing expression again....


(this is also totally out of context and inappropriate but the captcha thing they are asking me to type in order to publish my comment is "bjrub" and i thought you might think that was funny. sorry.)

Unknown said...

intimate. beautiful. lovely. gentle. elegant. crucial.

thank you for sharing.

dpmoore said...

That photo of your mum with her dad shows the reality of the spirit that drives the Baha'is and sustains them in the face of such madness. You have that same spirit, it's part of the legacy for all of you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.