6.12.2012

GOING BACK TO MY SOUTH DAKOTA HOME








i'm going home to south dakota for a week, and am honored to be doing so, for a really exciting project for my dear friend, colleague and world renowned National Geographic photographer and Native American advocate Aaron Huey [you may know him from his TED talk on Pine Ridge/the Black Hills/ Lakota people here]. I will be assisting him in helping the Lakota people tell their own stories with their own words - so that there is NO misrepresentation of Pine Ridge or the Oglala Lakota. It is such an exciting, amazing opportunity and I feel like I am the perfect person to go back home, my Lakota family, to my golden prairies and cornflower blue skies & marshmallow clouds, to my tree and that wind. I am so blessed and so grateful.

you can watch a short video where Aaron is speaking at a Knight Talk for Stanford more about the project:



you can follow my trip on instagram under the handle "samimi_extremie" to see my journey back home - the beautiful land & people through my eyes.  and of course, i'll be taking lots of film shots, so stay tuned for when I can get them developed.

I am so excited I can barely contain myself.

2 comments:

gol said...

how wonderful! looking forward to seeing the film fotos!

SAMIMI-EXTREMIE said...

thanks, gol! i am so excited!! xoxo